Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Product Review: The Face Shop Nail Base Coat

The very first base coat I tried was the Caronia Nail Hardener and Base coat because i needed to toughen my weak nails. Everyone I know remember my nails to be "pudpod" and at one point it even became my trademark. I remember when my lip balm recipe was featured in Just G.'s newsletter my friends would not believe I did the demo. Not until they saw a shot of my finger that they were convinced it was me (some friends!hahaha..). So when I decided to grow them out they were so thin that I could literally bend them down but thankful they were not brittle to have broken off, that would just hurt pretty bad :D

When I finished off the entire bottle of nail hardener and my nail regain its strength, I felt it was time for me to try out other brands. Since I love my Top Coat from The Face Shop so much, I became interested to pair it off with their Base Coat.

The Face Shop Nail Base Coat
Price: P95 (approx. $2) 11ml
Place bought: The Face Shop SM Megamall


Ingredients: Ethyl acetate, Butyl acetate, Camphor, Industrial Nitrocellulose, Tosylamide Formaldehyde Resin, Benfone #27, Titanium dioxide (Cl-7781), Tocopheryl acetate,tydrolyzed Hydrolyzed Soy protein.


Unlike the Caronia Base coat which is clear, TFS Base coat has a pinkish hue I guess to give your nails a nice healthy pinkish glow before nail polish application. I used this on my sunflower nail art and after exactly 7 days this is what my nails looked like:

See the tips? There were minimal chipping on the tips

 and the nail art is still very much intact.

Even the pinkie which is usually the first to chip shows no major damage. Mind you I'm no princess I scrubbed pots and pans with this nails.


Pros:
  • Affordable at only P95 a piece it'll last you a long time especially if you don't regularly change your nail polish color.
  • Dries quickly and rather thin.
  • Has a pinkish hue.
  • Brush are okay. It fans out wide enough to evenly distribute the product.
Cons:
  •  One thing that bothered me about this is the smell it could come off too strong.
  • Functions just as a base coat if you want a nail hardener you'd have top buy that separately and add on another layer which could be time consuming.
I guess the top coat and the base coat worked well together and I'm lovin' this at the moment so I'll stick with this until I finish off the whole bottle. What's your favorite nail base coat you could recommend? :D


No comments:

Post a Comment