Monday, May 14, 2018

Job Hunting in your Mid 30s



Okay, so let us take a break from the usual product reviews that you could find here. I just want to share with guys my experience that later turned out to be an experiment as well as to how, no matter how many advocates there are for job equality, there, would be always be a HUGE discrimination in job employment.

When I was writing for my high school newspaper, I've actually discussed about another type of discrimination with regards to job employment and that is about certain companies putting favors on applicants coming from certain schools. Although, as much as we want to close our eyes and cover our ears be naive and believe that is not the case, believe me, IT DOES.


Fast forward year 2011 when I had to stop working at a regular office environment due to some family issue, I've worked from home ever since. Be it being a freelance graphic designer or a freelance makeup artist and then starting out my small home baking business I've done it until to this day. But unfortunately, being a freelancer doesn't always pay the bill. Unlike regular office employment wherein income flow is regular monthly, for us self-employed people, if orders or projects don't come in this month, it means bills will go unpaid.

There would always be months where almost nothing comes in or it just is basically not enough. This whole month of April and May was brutal which made me think of going back to joining the regular office workforce. So, here I am, in my mid 30s trying to build up a resume once again. It was nerve wracking and a little intimidating. But re-constructing your resume was half the battle. It is actually getting a response from these companies that is pretty much the war zone. I think, out of all the postings on Jobstreet.com I've applied to, I've only received 1 thank you email for sending in an application. And no, I repeat, not a single interview invitation. THAT WAS TOUGH. 

What is going on here? Would an older age bracket require a pretty much near to perfect resume to actually get these companies attention? I mean, what is actually going through these companies' minds when they see an older applicant? It's not like mid 30's is near to retirement age that they need to be worried yet in case they hire you. In some parts of the world Like Singapore and Hong Kong you can see even older people working at fastfood chains, why not  here in the Philippines? Why not in an actual regular office environment?Older people actually do have more experience and wisdom to contribute. Are they worried that more mature employees are not as controllable as the younger ones? Well, that would say a lot about a certain organization don't you agree? What are your thoughts on this? Did you have a similar experience? I would sure like to start a conversation. Do share it with me I'd love to hear your thoughts on this issue. 



Till the next,

No comments:

Post a Comment