Saturday, October 13, 2012

Rants: You give the Food Industry a BAD name! Sayonara Sirin International Group (Philippines) may I never have to deal with you ever again!

Sayonara Sirin International Group (Philippines)
especially Tere Herada may I never have to deal with you ever again!

eth·ic noun \ˈe-thik\
plural but sing or plural in constr : the discipline dealing with what is good and bad and with moral duty and obligation
2
a : a set of moral principles : a theory or system of moral values <the present-day materialistic ethic> <an old-fashioned work ethic> —often used in plural but singular or plural in construction <an elaborate ethics> <Christian ethics>
b plural but sing or plural in constr : the principles of conduct governing an individual or a group <professional ethics>
c : a guiding philosophy
d : a consciousness of moral importance <forge a conservation ethic>
3
plural : a set of moral issues or aspects (as rightness) 

My blog page had always been the place to voice out my opinions on different things. I haven't been ranting about anything in particular in a while until a recent experience got the spikes on my back to stand up. 

Before I even began dabbling with makeup artistry, I've been a Graphic Designer for a while now. It is actually a very rewarding profession creative-wise. Freelancing is an added bonus because you're able to earn extra from the comforts of your own home. Though as exciting as it can be designing for various companies and seeing your works published, there would always be those ones that would know nothing about ethics. Now these companies/people are a big pain in the butt to deal with. People who are experts at demands and making unbelievable excuses come payment time.

Unfortunately, I've endured this scenario recently and from a "friend"(as of press time already a vague acquaintance) nonetheless! 

Sometimes, Friendship and business don't mix well together. Should you wish to forgo putting them together, you can be on shaky grounds. Unless, of course, you both practice strong business ethics. Here is my story and you be the judge:

March 14, 2012- was approached by a "friend" for  favor to help her with catalog design for her new organization. I gladly obliged, for free even, but she insisted she wanted to give me some of their products in exchange.

March15, 2012- asked help for a company profile folder design. same scenario. I asked if they have budget for this and she asked if I would rather do an x-deal since their company was just starting up and they have no budget for it. I said no problem, I'll see what I can do.

March 20, 2012- more design favors for catalog design.

March 22, 2012- asked to design promotional bottle neck labels for the same terms: x-deal. Considering this term, they were persistent (demanding even) in follow-ups regarding updates. Asked for high resolution materials but they could not provide me everything I needed. 

March 29, 2012- since they lack some high resolution product shots, they asked me if I could drop by their office and do product shots. (I don't think they were aware that at this point, an x-deal would not cut it anymore. This is already too many favors!).

April 4, 2012- I did their product shots. Another "friend"(acquaintance), which happened to be the Marketing Manager (Tere Herada) at that point, offered to pay my services in monetary value since these string of "favors" are already getting way too long. Straight from her mouth, "Send me an invoice." Freeze frame, in my understanding, WE JUST ENTERED THE BUSINESS ZONE. Tell me if I'm mistaken. 

From that point on, they can be demanding as they can be, it is understandable because they suddenly became my client. Revisions and editing was done back and forth to the point of crazy redundancy. Policy of any Graphic Designer, once you've been given the layered files and it was given to a printer already, it is final. But I think, that was too much for their minds to understand and respect. she still made revisions afterwards even made me work inside their office under her supervision. They did not have structure. We were going through revisions going through the same points over and over again. But I was patient mainly because I was a friend. They even asked me to re-scale a box packaging done by another artist for free!

April 25, 2012- Sent my first invoice. This is because we were close to wrapping up the project. But then, the Marketing Manager, Tere Herada, had even more revisions on hand! Take note, she kept on piling revisions after proofing! She could have just dedicated herself into checking each detail in one go so time and money had not been wasted. She is a loony bin in my opinion.

So this went on and on and on. Seemed to me they have just been making excuses to not pay me. I've sent my invoice and reminders regularly just to make sure they are reminded of their obligation. Then it came to my attention that there is a huge possibility that the company doesn't have the budget to pay me. this is very alarming for me since I've already invested my time into doing this project. 

I gave them terms and demanded to be paid on due dates they refused to acknowledge and told me to wait. They made me feel like I don't have any right to demand payment on my own terms. WTF! Service has been rendered and I have all the right to demand on my own terms! That to me is very disrespectful and ungrateful considering the fact that I've already done so many favors for them. They've even sent me a derogatory email telling me my emails and reminders are already annoying. If they've only acknowledge one of my invoice reminders and given me a concrete date on when I should expect to be paid, I wouldn't have sent it over and over again. Instead of being professional and properly talked to me, they've decided to turn the tables around accusing me of not doing my job very well.

Sweetie, I know more of how the Graphic Design Industry works more than your itty bitty little brain can wrap around on. I've been doing it for years and my true respectable clients are still with me today. It's plain and simple, "Don't seek for services you can't afford" and humility will do you good. 

So after 6 months of waiting (I've actually forgotten about this company already and just left everything to Karma) they've contacted me. As usual, same BS and empty promises. Whatever! Pay if you will I don't care anymore! What made me even furious was, my invoice indicated a certain amount and, it's not like they've asked or negotiated for me to lower the price to the amount they are willing to pay, they've DIRECTED me to revise my invoice according to their liking! Talk about being an arse!

Karma is a bitch and you are next in line. Pay me whatever, I just want you and your company out of my hair and out of my life! And for my fellow Graphic Designers, PM me to know who this particular company is to save you guys the heartache I've had to endure. As of the moment, I don't patronize any of this company's products and asked my friends to do the same thing. 

At the end of the day, MANAGER is just a 7-letter word. You'll never be one until you have this 6-letter word------ E-T-H-I-C-S.


Till then,



No comments:

Post a Comment